Jul. 6, 2011 (PR Newswire) --
DALLAS, July 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With summer officially in full swing, Match.com, one of the world's leading online dating sites, reveals that 49% of surveyed members have turned a summer fling into a long-term relationship. Match.com polled its members to find out what they consider to be this year's summer dating essentials to help heat up their love lives – from tips on picking the perfect place for a summer date to fashion do's or don'ts.
The survey also reveals that members' preferred date location officially changes with the seasons. During the summer months, singles ditch the coffee date in favor of getting to know a date over drinks on a patio. Only a small minority of singles (1.4%) still prefer getting to know someone over a cup of coffee in the summer.
Below are additional highlights from the survey:
SUMMER STYLE FOR WOMEN
- Lighten Up - 81% of men like women to wear white pants on a date. Not surprisingly, 92% of men also like short skirts.
- The Skin-ny - Some men say midriff-baring shirts should stay in the closet! 12% of men said it's never cool to wear a cropped top on a date.
- Show Some Plait-itude - Braided hair is in! 63% of men like braids in their date's hair.
- Shoo Fly – Maybe it's time to keep the bug-eyes at home? 56% of men really don't care for the popular big sunglasses look.
- Don't Be Cheeky! 53% of men said it's not acceptable for a woman to wear a thong swimsuit for a beach or pool date.
- Yellow Polka Dot Bikini? 34% of women said they'd be willing to strip down to a swimsuit in front of a date this summer... after 1 -3 dates. And guys are much more willing to show off in a swimsuit on a first date (23%).
- Take Comfort - Women report that they feel most comfortable in heels (57%) on a summer date, and they are actually more comfortable in a swimsuit than in short shorts on a beach date.
SUMMER STYLE FOR MEN
- Loosen Up - 68% of women say it's never appropriate for her date to show up wearing skinny jeans.
- The Situation - 80% of women say a guy should never walk around shirtless, even if he does have rock-solid abs.
- Keep it Casual - 93% of women prefer a date to wear a polo shirt and khakis on a date this summer, followed by the less stifling version: a polo shirt paired with shorts (87%).
- Made In the Shade - 84% of women said visors are a turn-off! They prefer men to accessorize with aviator-style sunglasses instead (75%).
- SpeeDON'T! Save the Speedo for the South of France! 91% of women said they're not ready to see their date sport a Speedo at the beach or pool.
Additional results are available at the Match.com blog, Up to Date.
Founded in 1995, Match.com was the original dating website and pioneer of the online dating industry. Throughout its fifteen year history, Match.com has been responsible for more dates, relationships and marriages than any other website. The company's comprehensive online dating services also include Chemistry.com, Singlesnet and People Media's 28 targeted websites such as OurTime.com and BlackPeopleMeet.com. Today, Match.com operates leading subscription-based online dating sites in 25 countries, 8 languages and across five continents. Match.com is an operating business of IAC and is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. For more information, visit www.match.com.