NEW YORK, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- The last remaining wrongful death lawsuit stemming from the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States has been settled, court papers indicate.
The victim, Mark Bavis, was aboard the second plane that hit the World Trade Center, United Airlines Flight 175, The New York Times reported Tuesday.
The family of the 31-year-old hockey scout had refused to settle because they wanted a trial to hold the airline and its security company, Huntleigh USA, publicly accountable for gross negligence in allowing five terrorists to board Flight 175 at Boston's Logan International Airport.
Donald A. Migliori, the family's attorney, said public accountability was achieved by filing a detailed compendium of evidence in the case that included 127 exhibits and many details not previously made public.
The compendium showed "the essence of the story that we would have told over a trial that we would have expected to take six weeks," Migliori said.
Damages remain confidential as with previous Sept. 11 litigation.