ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Oct. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Responding to the growing diabetes and obesity epidemic in the United States, Abbott (NYSE: ABT) is introducing Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ nutrition shakes and bars for people with diabetes.
Diabetes affects more than 25 million Americans, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If the current trend continues, one in three Americans will develop diabetes sometime in their lifetime.(1) Type 2 diabetes accounts for 90-95 percent of diabetes cases and is linked to obesity and physical inactivity.(2)
- For nearly 20 years, studies have shown the benefits of weight loss for people with or at risk of developing diabetes.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Look AHEAD study's results illustrated that lifestyle interventions – including exercise, individual and group contact, and use of meal replacements; such as Glucerna shakes and bars – lead to successful weight loss and significant improvements in blood glucose levels and cardiovascular risk factors.(3)
- The American Dietetic Association's evidence analysis states that "substituting one or two daily meals or snacks with meal replacements is a successful weight loss and weight maintenance strategy."(4)
- Glucerna Hunger Smart products are specially designed for people with diabetes to use as a meal replacement or snack as a part of a weight management plan.
- The shakes feature a proprietary carbohydrate blend called CARB STEADY® which includes both low glycemic and slowly-digestible carbohydrates designed to help minimize blood sugar spikes.
- Glucerna Hunger Smart shakes have 180 calories, 15 grams of protein and 6 grams of sugars.
- Glucerna Hunger Smart shakes offer 25 vitamins and minerals and are available in Homemade Vanilla and Rich Chocolate flavors.
- Glucerna Hunger Smart snack bars offer 140-150 calories and 10 grams of protein in addition to CARB STEADY; they are available in Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp and Chocolate Chip Crisp flavors.
- Glucerna Hunger Smart products will complement Abbott's existing line of Glucerna bars and shakes, which also are designed to help minimize blood sugar spikes.
Commentary on Diabetes Management and the New Hunger Smart Shakes and Bars:
From Molly Gee, M.Ed., R.D., L.D.:
"As a registered dietitian, I often hear from patients with busy schedules, who are overwhelmed at the prospect of cutting calories. Research studies show that for overweight people with type 2 diabetes, lifestyle modification, including proper nutrition, exercise and modest weight loss of 5-10 percent, can help manage blood sugar and may prevent long-term vascular complications.
Portion control is the easiest way to control calories and meal replacements like cereal with milk or Glucerna Hunger Smart can be great tools to develop a personal, nutritious, low calorie diet. Adding some enjoyable physical activity like walking or swimming can also help people feel better and lose weight too."
From Robert Miller, Ph.D., divisional vice president, Global R&D and Scientific Affairs, Abbott:
"Abbott scientists have been designing and studying the benefits of nutrition formulas specifically for people with diabetes for several decades. We've taken our expertise with slowly digested carbohydrates which are clinically shown to help minimize blood sugar spikes and have designed a new product to help manage hunger. Glucerna Hunger Smart helps to manage hunger and is designed to be an important part of a weight management plan for people with diabetes."
Where to Buy Glucerna Products:
Glucerna products can be purchased nationwide at pharmacies, grocery stores, drug stores and mass merchandisers, or online at www.AbbottStore.com.
Glucerna Hunger Smart shakes and bars are available in the following flavors:
- Shakes: Homemade Vanilla and Rich Chocolate
- Bars: Chocolate Peanut Butter Crisp and Chocolate Chip Crisp
For more than 20 years, the science and innovation in Glucerna has been helping people manage diabetes through proper nutrition. Made by Abbott, Glucerna nutrition shakes and bars are specially formulated for people with diabetes, containing slowly-digestible carbohydrate blends to help manage blood glucose levels. The Glucerna line includes great-tasting shakes, meal bars and snack bars that are designed to be used under medical supervision as part of a diabetes management plan. To learn more, visit www.glucerna.com.
About Abbott Nutrition
For more than 85 years, Abbott Nutrition has been developing and marketing science-based nutritional products to support the growth, health and wellness of people of all ages. Internationally recognized brands include the Similac® brand of infant formulas; the Gain® brand of growing-up milks; the PediaSure® line of nutritionals for children; and the Ensure® brand of complete and balanced nutrition for adults.
The company is a leader in nutritional products clinically shown to address the distinct dietary needs of people with serious health conditions or special nutrient requirements, such as the Glucerna® brand of nutrition shakes and bars for people with diabetes.
Abbott Nutrition also offers EAS® specialized products to meet the unique nutritional needs of athletes, as well as ZonePerfect® nutrition bars for busy, active lifestyles.
More information about Abbott Nutrition's products is available at www.AbbottNutrition.com.
Abbott is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical products, including nutritionals, devices and diagnostics. The company employs nearly 90,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.
Abbott's news releases and other information are available on the company's Web site at www.abbott.com.
For more information, please visit the following websites:
Glucerna products are for use under medical supervision as part of a diabetes management plan.
Consult a doctor before starting any weight loss plan, especially if you have diabetes or other health problems, are under 18, pregnant, breastfeeding, or want to lose more than 30 pounds. Do not lose more than 2 pounds per week after the first week. Rapid weight loss may cause health problems. If you notice physical changes during weight loss such as dizziness, hair loss, or interruptions in menstrual cycle, you should talk to a doctor immediately.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2011
CDC Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion: Diabetes, Accessed 11 October 2011, http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/AAG/ddt.htm
The Look AHEAD Research Group, Long-term Effects of a Lifestyle Intervention on Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Four-Year Results of the Look AHEAD Trial. The Look AHEAD Research Group, Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(17):1566-1575
American Dietetic Association Evidence Analysis Library, ADA, Accessed 20 Sept 2011, http://www.adaevidencelibrary.com/template.cfm?template=guide_summary&key=625&auth=1