BARCELONA, SPAIN -- (Marketwire) -- 02/27/12 -- Mobile World Congress -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) -- Bell Mobility continues to build out its 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile services with the Cisco® ASR 5000 Series mobile multimedia core platform. Bell Mobility now delivers 4G LTE services to its most populous markets in western Canada, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia.
The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is the foundation of the packet core for Bell Mobility's LTE network, delivering higher bandwidth and greater intelligence for faster mobile Internet services and improved user experiences.
- Bell Mobility has completed the rollout of 4G LTE services to customers in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Yellowknife, London, Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Belleville, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax-Dartmouth.
- With capital expenditures of approximately $3 billion per year, Bell is rapidly expanding Canada's communications infrastructure with ongoing fibre and mobile broadband rollouts.
- Designated as a 4G mobile specification, LTE is designed to provide multi-megabit bandwidth, more efficient use of the radio network, latency reduction and improved mobility. This combination aims to enhance the user's interaction with the network and further drive the demand for mobile multimedia services. With mobile broadband, users can more readily access Internet services such as online video, social networking, and interactive gaming -- all on the go.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is purpose-built for the complexities of the mobile network. It is a robust multimedia services platform that brings a new level of network and customer intelligence to the mobile network. Such intelligence is critical to delivering real-time, personalized mobile services.
- Key components of the Cisco ASR 5000 Series include:
- The Cisco Mobility Management Entity (MME), which manages multiple back-end functions, including authentication, paging, mobility with 3GPP, 2G and 3G nodes, roaming and other functions.