Server rooms come as the heart of most modern infrastructures. Order and ergonomics in server rooms highly depend on compact hardware allocation and placement. For this purpose, computer racks and cabinets are used.
Computer furniture is a multi-layer construction that provides wide functionalities for technicians.
Their bodies are designed especially for IT equipment storage. Thus, they are highly durable, functional, and equipped with all the needed holes.
In the article, we’re going to answer the question “What is a computer rack?”, consider the most popular types, and outline the key tips for proper and durable maintenance and serving.
Types of Computer Furniture
When furnishing data centers, several kinds of furniture models can be used. Manufacturers produce different models to satisfy all demands and provide products for any purpose.
Depending on the system size and place of mounting, the following solutions are available:
- Open-frame computer racks. Metal constructions without side panels and doors. Such models have only vertical posts and a supporting base. A computer server rack is suitable for installation in closed rooms, access to which is given to the maintenance staff and authorized system administrators only.
- Enclosed server cabinets. Solid metal bodies with perforated panels provide high security from external influences and accommodate all sorts of network hardware. The variety of sizes differs greatly from desktop options to huge floor-standing models, which allows for selecting an appropriate solution for any case. Such cabinets are suitable for both open spaces and enclosed premises.
- Server stands. These are small compact furniture pieces designed for holding several devices. They can be used together with cabinets or racks or installed separately for low-capacity systems.
The assortment of modern products helps furnish any premise, be it an office, a public location, a separate server room, or a home office.
Components of the Rack
When considering what is stored inside racks and cabinets, note that objects fall into three main categories, namely, passive and active hardware, and accessories. Here are the most popular types of server equipment:
- Servers. They come as the brains of an entire IT organism. Servers are indispensable elements of any network system. Their number can range from 1 to several dozen, depending on the system capacity and computing capabilities.
- Routers and switches stand as important devices used to connect components, enable communication between devices, and provide smooth interaction between all functioning units. Routers are used to connect several systems and transfer data remotely.
- Monitors, mouse, and keyboard. These devices are installed to simplify maintenance and management. The staff does not have to carry them each time they visit the site for maintenance work.
- Sensors, fans, and other tools for creating, maintaining, and controlling the required environmental conditions. They are installed to direct the airflow, cool down devices, and alarm in the case of violation of indicators.
- Multiple accessories, such as planking panels, supports, cables, hooks, etc. These tools help improve order, accessibility, and ergonomics inside cabinets. They are used to organize cables, plug unused slots, etc.
Now, let’s answer the question “What is a computer rack used for?” This type of furniture is commonly found in the next cases:
- large data centers that cater to dozens of enterprises and provide computing, storage, and processing capabilities for businesses;
- local server rooms;
- simple and home offices.
No store, bank, or other public institution can’t go without rack systems.
Selection & Installation
When picking a suitable rack model, pay attention to the next criteria:
- The number of your system components determines the needed rack size.
- The place of installation.
- The type of preferable furniture.
- Cooling requirements.
Remember to leave extra space for future advancements in racks when calculating the needed size.
Before you get down to rack installation, make sure to prepare the site, examine it for compliance with requirements, and ensure secure mounting.
Security & Cooling
These issues are vital for information systems since they are responsible for storing huge massifs of important data that can become a target of intruders.
To guarantee data security, it is necessary to place open-frame racks in closed premises or install removable panels.
Cooling is another essential aspect of any IT system. Cooling systems prevent overheating by directing the airflow to remove extra heat emitted by functioning hardware.
Comparison with Server Cabinet
If you compare computer racks to solid enclosures, each class of furniture has its pros and cons.
Open frames are superior in terms of cooling, easier access, and maintenance, while they provide poor protection. Enclosures have a high-security barrier and can be mounted elsewhere. Yet, they are interior maintenance.
Regular and timely maintenance is an important task for ensuring the durable and smooth performance of all devices. Thus, keep doing the next procedures:
- regular cleaning helps prevent hardware from dust settlement, pollution, and related problems (such as overheating);
- equipment servicing allows for identifying and preventing malfunction, damage, and other hazards;
- equipment upgrades since devices tend to deteriorate over time and need timely replacement with new, more enhanced models.
Now, you see the explanation of the question “What is a rack in a computer?” If you know all the subtleties of using and picking furniture for DCs, you won’t have problems with setting up and maintaining your network system.